wg-multicast - Re: NCSA Beacon page gone after 5/30/2011

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: NCSA Beacon page gone after 5/30/2011

  • From: Scott Bertilson <>
  • To: "Curtis, Bruce" <>
  • Cc: Multicast Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: NCSA Beacon page gone after 5/30/2011
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 04:21:20 -0500

I've talked to people at NCSA several times over the last several years (usually asking them to restart the server) since they took it over and they've consistently said they'd really like to unload it.  One of the biggest reasons is that the code wasn't designed for the number of hosts it is often currently tracking and that or something else causes the app to bomb repeatedly.  Too bad there isn't some sort of multicast tracking tool included in the perfSONAR toolkit.  I've never thought to ask, but I wonder if they would consider it.  If so, it would probably be better to build it using dbeacon rather than using this ancient chunk of perl.  Maybe they would allow something to be included but defaulted to disabled.

Scott