wg-multicast - Re: bogon SAs from UC Davis? (and elsewhere)

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: bogon SAs from UC Davis? (and elsewhere)

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: bogon SAs from UC Davis? (and elsewhere)
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:18:22 -0500

Taking myself up on the challenge to look at the bogon groups currently
floating around the SA table, I grabbed a snapshot shortly after the UC Davis
PlanetLab stuff disappeared. Out of 990 SAs, 316 are from IANA-reserved
ranges. Another 134 are from 234/8, which according to IANA is now set aside
for RFC6034, "Unicast-Prefix-Based IPv4 Multicast Addresses". Who knew ;)
However, a quick scan of the list shows only two groups that could
potentially be legitimate uses of that RFC, and I don't think that either one
really is.

I dont have time to carefully analyze the SA lists, though there are
certainly some interesting things hiding in there. For example, I discovered
that 228.1.2.1 is a multicast group for Blackberry Enterprise Servers, and
yes, they do send status packets to it. It's possible that most of the bogon
groups are like that, intended to be for internal use, and are only
accidentally getting out of the campus or regional network.

What does that mean for bogon filtering? I think that someone would have to
look more closely at the existing activity to at least be able to make an
educated guess how much of it is intended to be interdomain, and would
therefore be impacted by a stricter filter. I would not be willing to
implement such a filter within NYSERNet until that kind of examination were
done.

Bill.