wg-multicast - Multicast Working Group meeting 11-01-2010

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast Working Group meeting 11-01-2010

  • From: Richard Machida <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Multicast Working Group meeting 11-01-2010
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 17:59:00 -0400

Here are brief notes that I took during the working group meeting during the
I2 Fall Member Meeting.

Richard Machida

Hitoshi Asaeda gave a brief introduction to CR (Channel Reflector) and
introduced his student Kazuhiro Mishima To do the introduction of the new
version of CR.

They would like people to visit channel-reflector.net to take a look at the
new software and think about installing CR on a campus host and start
populating the database. Kazuhiro Mishima Agreed to send out the PPT to the
list.

Brief discussion of IPv6 multicast in I2 and their campus networks.
We should consider having additional IPv6 multicast workshops once some
instructors have been identified
Maybe the AK JT meeting would be a good candidate.
Change the focus of the working group more towards v6
Updated information on MLDv2 snooping capable switches
Updated list of issues preventing wide spread adoption

Brief discussion by Jeffrey Handal of LSU's experience using multiple RPs to
more easily support Ghost on their campus network

De-emphasize the IPv4 multicast emphasis due to the lack of interest in
workshops

Questions on the status of the IPTV project

Consider transitioning to be a SIG from a WG. It will be brought up at the
working group chairs meeting tomorrow morning.