wg-multicast - inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT

Subject: All things related to multicast

inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT

  • From: Zenon Mousmoulas <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:57:10 +0300

Dear all,

We (GRNET) have a downstream network (let's call them U) who receive a partial routing table from us. U runs BGP and MSDP peerings on a single border router (RP in their PIM domain) with two distinct GRNET routers (anycast RPs in the GRNET domain, running full-mesh IBGP and MSDP). The BGP peerings are setup in a primary/backup scheme (using communities, local pref etc). BGP peerings carry both unicast and multicast NLRIs, but we use separate sessions for IPv4 and IPv6. Pretty standard stuff.

Since U receive only a partial routing table, they rely on the "default network" mechanism for internet routing. This gateway of last resort is configured once and, AFAIK, can't be set separately per NLRI. Since IOS (12.2SXF in their case) performs RPF lookups across both the MRIB and the unicast RIB, it seems to work out fine: "show ip rpf" points to the default network when no prefix matches the source, with a "unicast" RPF type. However MSDP peer-RPF check fails: SA announcements are rejected when no prefix matches the RP/Originator, so the default network doesn't apply in this case, or so it seems.

MSDP debug also logs messages like this:

Jun 7 18:15:33: MSDP(0): <grnet-msdp-peer>: Peer RPF check failed for w.x.y.z, used IBGP route's peer 0.0.0.0

which don't make much sense.

Judging from the above, it looks like we effectively can not MSDP peer with a downstream network without announcing to them (the equivalent of) FIRT in MBGP. Of course this is not a big issue while the number of prefixes is low, however there are still practical reasons against this, namely avoiding incongruent routing.

Have you ever noticed this? I have a feeling that enforcing compliance to RFC3618 (ip msdp rpf rfc3618) would affect this behavior, but I'm not even sure if their border router supports it.

Thanks in advance,
Z.