wg-multicast - Re: Yet another oddball multicast group - 224.0.5.128

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Yet another oddball multicast group - 224.0.5.128

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Yet another oddball multicast group - 224.0.5.128
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:08:26 -0500

Two updates on this. First, the campus that was having the UPS problem has
determined, after a lot of packet sniffing, that there's a bug in their UPS
management cards and they crash after receiving a specific SNMP GET request.
The multicast traffic isn't implicated at all in this problem.

Second, I heard back from Digi International regarding the problem report
that I submitted. They agreed that in retrospect they should have chosen a
group from the admin-scoped range, but said that this was the first time
they'd heard of the ADDP traffic escaping from a local network, since "Digi
devices are...normally behind a firewall." Hmm. Also, they "made management
aware of the issue", so we'll see where that goes.

Bill.