wg-multicast - multicast connundrum

Subject: All things related to multicast

multicast connundrum

  • From: Laurence Kirchmeier <>
  • To: Research Channel Working Group <>, Internet2 Multicast Working Group <>
  • Subject: multicast connundrum
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:57:24 -0400

Merit is streaming a number of unicast and multicast streams from NANOG 47 in Dearborn Mi.
We are sending one high quality unicast quicktime stream back to a QuickTime streaming server at Merit which then reflects out the stream to unicast connected viewers. Also  I have set up a unicast to multicast relay so that one can receive the reflected stream via multicast.

The URLs for these two streams are:

The multicast address being used is 233.0.236.30, port 8000

My connundrum is this:
I am sitting on a wireless network in the hotel in Dearborn and when I load "rtsp://quicktime.merit.edu/nanogmult.sdp" in Quicktime Player, I actually get the video stream.  Now I ask myself how is that possible - perhaps the wireless network is allowing multicast traffic.  Our network engineering staff are sceptical that I am actually seeing multicast traffic and somehow I am receiving a unicast stream.
SO the question is - how can one figure out (on a Macintosh or linux box) whether a stream that is being received by the machine is a multicast stream. I know that  "netstat -rn" shows all the active tcp and udp connections.  In that list how might one detect that a stream is a multicast stream.  Is there some other way to figure out if a stream is a multicast stream?
Any comments, ideas would be helpful - am I missing something obvious?

Laurie

Laurence Kirchmeier
Video Services Manager & Senior Engineer, Networking R&D
Merit Network, Inc.
1000 Oakbrook Drive, Suite 200, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Tel.  +1 734 527-5741 Fax. +1 734 527-5790
Email: