wg-multicast - Re: notes from BoF

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: notes from BoF

  • From: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: notes from BoF
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:52:17 -0400

Alan, Thanks so much for the notes. Very appreciated.
You mean Rich was there and did not stream the meeting live with one of his new VBrick boxes!
;-)

Frank

On Oct 15, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Alan Crosswell wrote:

Multicast WG BoF Wed Oct 15, 2008

There were about 20 attendees. Elaine has the list.
Presentation slides will be posted to the I2MM web site once I receive them.

Items discussed follow:

* High bandwidth multicast over WiFi
- no progress on getting any significant information from vendors other
than the realization that there are a number of problems with
rate limiting, flooding, sending all multicast down tunnels to APs, etc.
- See Bruce's mail regarding Cisco APs and roaming.

* New Applications
- Philadelphia Orchestra global concert series
- They experienced significant technical issues with campus multicast
- This did lead to several new campuses now able to do interdomain
- "Move network" cache servers (unicast) beta w/Dave Devereaux-Weber
- Intercast multicast to storage for entertainment content being
beta-tested
at a couple of member schools.
- Vbrick multicasting powerpoint.etc. to go along with the audio/ video
- Inuk Networks - software player in demo room

* Doing it without SAP
- Hitoshi referenced his
draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt
and ask that we support moving this draft from individual to the group.
- Hitoshi & Kazuhiro Mishima presented a "channel-reflector" system
this is
in activie development and solicited participation.
See http://demo.channel-reflector.net
- Tsuyoshi Hisamatsu briefly presented his latest DVTS follow-ons:
- DVRTP gldvshow DVTS client using OpenGL
- MPEG2-H.264 realtime transcoder

- Rich Mavroegeanes showed a Vbrick-developed SAP-replacement that
uses RSS
and asked for interested people to contact him to provide input,
suggestions, possibly generate an I-D.
Includes an RSS listener for Sametime
Vbrick reflector is used for interdomain unicast, local multicast
Presentation viewer as mentioned above.

* SSM
- Vbrick now supports SSM in their products (yay!)
- Apple still no SSM and no liklihood of this every being fixed.
- Silverlight doesn't support any multicast

* Merit doing measurement & multicast monitoring using Zenoss

* New Chair for the WG
Richard Machida has graciously agreed to take over as the Chair of the WG
effective today. Thanks, Richard, I'm off now to remove myself from
Sympa:-)

/a