wg-multicast - Re: Huge multicast spike just now?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Huge multicast spike just now?

  • From: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Huge multicast spike just now?
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:07:37 +0900 (JST)

> An attempt was made several years ago to deprecate ASM for IPv6
> (draft-giuliano-mboned-v6mcast-framework). This proposal was not warmly
> received in MBoned (baby-seal-clubbing would have been more popular at the
> meeting).
>
> Embedded RP has pretty much guaranteed that we will have to live with ASM
> in IPv6 for the forseeable future (forever).

We should have kept possibility of ASM communication model in
IPv4/IPv6, because ASM is useful for service discovery (e.g. SAP,
SLP). Well, ND works with ASM, too. We cannot eliminate ND from IPv6.
But such service discovery is assumed or should be used in a LAN or a
small and controled domain with a single policy (e.g. in an ISP).
There is no use case that encourages to use such service discovery in
a large scale interdomain network. And for streaming applications, SSM
fits the demand and there is no reason to live with ASM.

We should classify and distinguish the use cases of ASM and SSM.
--
Hitoshi Asaeda