wg-multicast - Re: SAP source statistics

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SAP source statistics

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Dan Pritts <>
  • Cc: "Fulchiero, Frank (Information Services)" <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: SAP source statistics
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:50:51 +0200

Dan Pritts wrote:
On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 08:56:29PM +0200, Stig Venaas wrote:
I don't have any good answers, but I feel it would be problematic to use
SAP if I had to receive 1 Mbit/s of data. Right now the rate seems to be
about 27Kbit/s which is not a problem at all.

Do we expect some form of global SAP to last into an SSM-only world,
which (last i checked) was the goal?

At least I don't. I think we need something else. I still think some
kind of announcement service (or program guide) would be nice, but not
SAP as it is today.

If so, I'm not sure how it would work.

I have some ideas for how it could work, but they are probably not
pursuing. They would just recreate some of the same problems I think.

If not, people should be encouraged not to use SAP for any future
applications, except perhaps within their own domains (e.g., cable
tv systems).

I feel SAP still has some use today, but we need alternatives. I don't
think just putting a link to an SDP file on a web page suffices.

Stig

In the meantime, I agree that 1Mbit would be too much for normal
circumstances.

danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer