wg-multicast - Re: IGMPv3 on Macs

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IGMPv3 on Macs

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: debbie fligor <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast List <>
  • Subject: Re: IGMPv3 on Macs
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:34:39 -0400

For bonus points, tell them that you want to use Quicktime with SSM.

Regards
Marshall

On May 28, 2008, at 11:21 AM, debbie fligor wrote:

In discussion with my Apple SE this morning, it looks like IGMPv3 may not even be in the next major OS release (10.6 I assume) -- the main reason he can figure out looking at the bug report he filed for me is that in the multiple years that bug has been open, only 2 or 3 people have chimed in that it was important for them.

Apparently which things like this get implemented is often determined by user request/industry need. So if you would like to see it, contact your Apple SE and tell them you want it and why you need it and how important it is for you.

Even if I didn't want to test switches with Macs, if we want to go to IGMPv3 on our networks, we need all the clients on a given net playing with the same IGMP level, unless I misunderstand how the backwards compatibility works.

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
email:

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"My turn." -River Tam