wg-multicast - Re: NASA Earth Day HD Multicast Stream?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: NASA Earth Day HD Multicast Stream?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Dan Oachs <>
  • Cc: Gary Parker <>,
  • Subject: Re: NASA Earth Day HD Multicast Stream?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:55:45 -0400

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:38:07AM -0500, Dan Oachs wrote:
> There is one NASA TV multicast that I know of, but it is not even
> 640x480 and not sure which NASA channel it is. The SAP announcement is
> LavaNet Video Test (NASA TV). I think the multicast IP is 233.25.35.4
>
> I think it would be great if someone could deliver high quality stream
> of each of the NASA channels to I2. I assume that if they are streaming
> them in low resolution from their website they would be happy to have
> them in high quality over i2 if someone else did all the work.

Once upon a time, NASA TV was the showcase because it was in MPEG1 and
everything else was low-bandwidth window cams. Then NASA changed the
satellite they were using, and the folks transcoding the signal into
multicast lost the ability to see the bird. RIT has a downlink, but they are
putting it into an admin-scoped group, and they won't even let me get it ;)

University of Alaska TV used to have NASA TV in between other programming,
but it looks like they're now filling in time with ResearchChannel. You can
try DVTS to 233.30.94.33/8000 and see what's on.

At one time, OSTN was providing a NASA TV channel that was accessible with a
little bit of finagling. Their portal didn't work with my Mac, but I was able
to convince it to give up the .nsc file for the feed, extract the group, and
join it with VLC. That group no longer seems to work, and the portal is now
locked down and won't let me connect. If you have OSTN access you might try
to find it there. . .

Bill.