wg-multicast - Re: call for volunteers: WiFi multicast vendor survey

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: call for volunteers: WiFi multicast vendor survey

  • From: debbie fligor <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc: debbie fligor <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: call for volunteers: WiFi multicast vendor survey
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:26:56 -0500

On Apr 16, 2008, at 11:59, Alan Crosswell wrote:

Questionnaire for vendors:
- please improve on these questions
- please volunteer to take to your vendor (or potential vendors) and
report back to the group

I'm up for asking Meru -- I seem to recall seeing Multicast on a roadmap somewhere.

We're also doing a wireless technology review this June, so I can hit a number of vendors up then.

- How is multicast sent to AP from the controller?
- Is multicast flooded to all APs in the SSID or just to AP with interest?
- Is IGMP snooping implemented? What version(s)?
- What about IPv6? IPv6 requires multicast.
- Is MLD snooping implemented?
- Can multicast base rate be set higher than the broadcast rate? What
are the limitations?
- How does multicast work w/WPA2 security? Broadcast group key?
Multiple unicast?
- How does this work with 802.11n multipath?
- Is multiple unicast better due to retransmissions at 802.11 layer?

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
email:

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"My turn." -River Tam