wg-multicast - Re: Multicast and firewalls

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast and firewalls

  • From: Matthew Davy <>
  • To: Todd Chapman <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast and firewalls
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:52:20 -0500

We use Netscreen 5000 series firewalls, but we haven't enabled multicast because all multicast packets are forwarded by the main CPU not the ASICs.   Even a small number of 3-4Mbps multicast streams can impact session setup performance in a highly utilized firewall.    I'm not familiar with the SSG550.   If it's not ASIC based, this is not a issue.  If it is ASIC based, you should keep this in mind.

Matt Davy
Indiana University