wg-multicast - Re: global dbeacon matrix for IPv4?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: global dbeacon matrix for IPv4?

  • From: debbie fligor <>
  • To: wg-multicast List <>
  • Cc: Debbie Fligor <>
  • Subject: Re: global dbeacon matrix for IPv4?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:02:15 -0500

We're back on the global multicast scene with most things working, but as I try and use beacon.dast.nlanr.org to look at how well things are being seen and make sure it's really all working, I'm finding that my host is reporting seeing sources that tcpdump clearly shows are not making it to my network. So I thought I'd bring this up to revisit ...

Caren -- did this ever get put together for IPv4? I looked through the list archives for "dbeacon" and didn't see any announcements that I might have otherwise missed. You had mentioned later last fall on the beacon group that you thought they had something up now, but I can't find a posting on that list either.

The GR-NOC tools page only has the NLANR beacon under multicast tools, so I couldn't find a group there.

I think we all agree this would be handy, the only question is if there is already one we could be using or someone needs to offer up a GLOP address -- since we don't need a central server, we all just start using it. I can provide one if no one has one in use for this already.

To go along with this, it occurred to me that it would be handy if there was a web page (wiki?) where we would list what hosts we have trying to talk on that group (and the URL if you have matrix running on the host), as there's no central server to show you who you're not seeing, if you're not seeing them (and no one else you can see is seeing them). I can trivially put up a traditional web page, but not a wiki.