wg-multicast - help blocking BSRs

Subject: All things related to multicast

help blocking BSRs

  • From: debbie fligor <>
  • To: wg-multicast List <>
  • Cc: debbie fligor <>
  • Subject: help blocking BSRs
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:28:36 -0500

Well, we finally have both on-campus and off-campus multicast routing working without relying on statics (well, we're trying to figure out why we're only receiving some members of group 233.4.200.18 and not others but it's almost all working!). There's always something bad to go with the good when it comes to multicast it seems....

In the process of checking things out across campus to be sure everything was really working correctly now, we found that suddenly our routers that don't allow an "override" command on their static RP config are seeing the following RPs via BSR:

Group prefix = 224.0.0.0/4 # RPs expected: 8
# RPs received: 8
RP 1: 138.47.14.1 priority=0 age=0
RP 2: 130.126.0.145 priority=0 age=0
RP 3: 168.223.254.100 priority=0 age=0
RP 4: 138.47.102.2 priority=0 age=0
RP 5: 199.77.194.253 priority=1 age=0
RP 6: 10.10.10.10 priority=1 age=0
RP 7: 143.215.194.6 priority=1 age=0
RP 8: 89.107.152.145 priority=1 age=0

now a year and half ago before everything broke with our new hardware, we don't think that we were seeing these, but that's a long time and a lot of changes beyond us that have happened. If any of these happen to be your RPs, please consider filtering at your border to help me out :-)

On our exit 6500 (running 12.2(18)SXF9) I added the following (straight from Lab 4 in the IPv4 multicast class) but it doesn't seem to be helping:

ip access-list standard multicast-boundary
deny 224.0.1.39
deny 224.0.1.40
permit any

and then on all router interfaces towards multicast peers did the following:

interface g2/2
ip pim bsr-border
ip multicast boundary multicast-boundary

I don't think I missed any interfaces, I've checked it over a couple of times. Can anyone think of anything else to suggest or point out that I missed?

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
email:

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"My turn." -River