wg-multicast - Re: Firewall ruleset/ACL best practice

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Firewall ruleset/ACL best practice

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: debbie fligor <>
  • Cc: Marshall Eubanks <>, wg-multicast List <>
  • Subject: Re: Firewall ruleset/ACL best practice
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:49:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 May 2007, debbie fligor wrote:

-) >
-) > In a router you want to block 232.0.0.0/4 outbound but not inbound, which
-) > is generally pretty simple.
-)

Also, blocking all of 224/4 (I assume that's what Marshall meant) may have
other problems, like preventing protocols like OSPF and VRRP, which use
mcast, from working. So you may want to allow just 224.0.0/24 to get out.

-)
-) I think you have to be careful where you do this. If it's at your campus
-) edge, that should work. If it's on the net where the users are because you
-) don't want that traffic in your core at all, you need to be careful.
-)
-) I was planning on using an ACL to block a specific group from going out an
-) interface in order to keep traffic local to that net and mentioned this to
an
-) SE. He said he'd just had that come up elsewhere, and if I applied that ACL
-) to that interface the router would drop it before processing the IGMP and
-) then couldn't be the IGMP querier for that group (which I needed it to be).
-) This is for Foundry gear, others may be different.
-)
-) Also what Bruce said below about IGMP for joins applies as well.
-)