wg-multicast - Re: Additional Virgin Radio Streams

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Additional Virgin Radio Streams

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Nicholas J Humfrey <>
  • Cc: Bruce Curtis <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Additional Virgin Radio Streams
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:41:32 +0200

Nicholas J Humfrey wrote:
Hi,

The University of Southampton is connected to m6bone/GĂ©ant via a tunnel. I am able to asmping and ssmping Stig's ssmping server in Norway ok. I am unsure of the details of how m6bone is connected to Internet 2?

The topology is

Abilene -- GEANT -- RENATER -- M6Bone

Well, it's not clear exactly what is M6Bone, but there is a native
peering between Abilene and GEANT. RENATER (and some other European
NRNs) have native peerings to GEANT. RENATER hosts a number of
tunnels etc to various places, possibly including the Vatican. For
e.g. the Virgin radio and soton.ac.uk it goes natively (I think)
from GEANT to JANET, and then from JANET to Soton...

ssmping/asmping is IMO a good way to test the connectivity. I know
we have had working connectivity from several places in Europe to
I2 before. Pretty much all the routers should support embedded-RP
too.

Stig

Using asmping to test multicast connectivity to Norway (using our own embedded-RP):
asmping -6 ff7e:140:2001:630:d0:f000:4321:1234 ssmping.uninett.no

Using ssmping to test SSM connectivity to Norway:
ssmping -6 ssmping.uninett.no

We have an ssmping server on our network, are you able to ping it?
ssmping -6 ssmping.ecs.soton.ac.uk
asmping -6 ff7e:140:2001:630:d0:f000:4321:1234 ssmping.ecs.soton.ac.uk

Anyone else had any success from Internet2?

nick.