wg-multicast - Re: dBeacon matrix

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: dBeacon matrix

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Todd Chapman <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: dBeacon matrix
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:31:49 -0400

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 11:28:31AM -0700, Todd Chapman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get dBeacon running and am unable to access the matrix page
> at http://mars.innerghost.net.ipv4.sixxs.org/matrix/. Anyone else able to
> access this page?

I can't reach the v4 or v6 pages, I suspect that machine is down.

> Another question...I would like to set up dBeacon for my own group, but
> there is absolutely no documentation on how to do that. Anyone have any
> helpful tips?

Do you mean that you want to choose a separate multicast group, and have a
set of beacons running on that group? dbeacon -h will give you a list of all
the flags, and the ones you want are probably a, n, C, W, Wm, d and b, and
possibly S if you do SSM as well as ASM. Here's an example of my command line
for the semi-official I2 group:

dbeacon -a

-n NYSERNet Syr -C US -W http://www.nysernet.org -b 233.77.70.200 -S
232.2.3.2

I don't have that server keep a matrix on that group, that's what the Wm and
d flags are for. For any machine that runs a matrix, you also need to install
the script and config, as explained here: http://dbeacon.innerghost.net/

Bill.