wg-multicast - Re: Help

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Help

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , 'Ramon Sierra' <>
  • Subject: Re: Help
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:09:42 +0200

Prashant Jhingran wrote:
Hi,

It’s very difficult to pin point the problem with such limited
information. However following is my prediction.

The receiver should initially send IGMP or MLD unsolicited joins (for
IPv4 and IPv6 respectively) for receiving a mcast streams. The receiver
should also send IGMP/MLD join messages on receiving periodic IGMP/MLD
queries (in response) from the router in order to continuously receive
the mcast streams. If it doesn't then the receiver will encounter the
problem which you are experiencing.

Yes, I think this is a likely reason, I've seen this happening several times. 4 minutes is longer than I would expect though. If you never respond to the regular IGMP/MLD queries, it should fail earlier.

Another similar problem I've seen was with PIM. The tree was created initially, but after about 3 minutes (I think it might be 210 seconds) multicasdt stopped. The reason was an MTU mismatch. The initial join messages reached the source, but for the periodic ones, the router with to large MTU configured had aggregated so many j/p's in one PIM message that it exceeded the MTU of its peer.

This seems more like your problem... At least that the problem is with sending/receiving periodic PIM joins at some location.

However for receiving from local source (lying on the same LAN), the
receiver needn’t send IGMP joins (in response to queries, in fact no
need of a router itself). Thus for local source, lying on the same LAN
there would never be a problem.

Unless an IGMP snooping/proxying switch is involved.

Stig

Therefore I feel that the application which you are using for receiving
the stream is not responding to the IGMP/MLD queries sent periodically
by the router and hence the router is deleting the multicast tree thus
freezing the streams once IGMP/MLD entries expire. Some mcast apps send
periodic IGMP/MLD unsolicited reports thus serving the purpose of
periodic refresh of IGMP/MLD entries.

BTW Which mcast app are you using for receiving mcast stream? Try "VLC"
free ware it works fine.

-Regards,
Prashant Jhingran

Huawei Technologies