wg-multicast - Re: catalyst 1900 and Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: catalyst 1900 and Multicast

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: "Roy D. Hockett" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: catalyst 1900 and Multicast
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:13:23 -0600

Basically, we were able to make it work, but that was a while ago. Your
router needs to do CGMP, which means it must be a Cisco, at least I haven't
heard of any other routers that do CGMP. If you have a mixture of switches,
some doing CGMP and others doing IGMP snooping, you have to be very
careful. Cisco has a white paper or config note on how to make that
situation work.

Personally, I liked the idea of CGMP, it had the router making Layer 3
decisions and telling the switchs which end stations wanted which groups.
But, I really don't think Cisco has continued development of it, so I'm not
sure how well it will works with things like IGMPv3 and SSM. And, while I
liked the design it still had some problems, which I can't completely
remember.

On 16 Feb 2006 Roy D. Hockett wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with running CGMP/multicast on the
> catalyst 1900 switches? If so what are you what isssues have you run
> into?
>
> Thanks,
> --Roy
>
> /********************************************************************/
> /* Roy Hockett * Telephone: (734) 763-7325 */
> /* Network Engineer, * FAX: (734) 615-1727 */
> /* ITCom, * Internet:
>
> */
> /* University of Michigan * */

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035