wg-multicast - Re: Multicast Detective

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast Detective

  • From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • To: Dan Pritts <>
  • Cc: , <>, Kamil Sarac <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast Detective
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:07:37 -0700 (PDT)

I understand about the I2 detective, we talked about it when he
first started work on it. We also talked about the need for more
detailed multicast diagnostics... hence the name.

One incompatability that we need to work through (and are dealing
with on linux), is that the more detailed checking requires raw
sockets to generate some of the IGMP messages. This raises all
sorts of red flags with Java, etc. Hence the path we've taken.

Hopefully Bob's got some cycles to help move some of the latest
functionality in.

-Kevin