wg-multicast - RE: Multicast QoS

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Multicast QoS

  • From: "Prashant Chopra" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: Multicast QoS
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:32:01 -0400

Colleagues,

Problem Statement
We have 6 multicast streams running at 1.6 Mbps. Clients connected to the
leaf nodes are receiving really bad signal - very bad that there are more
lost packets than received packets. Unicast works okay - transport is TCP
not UDP. With Multicast, at a single hop from the server, clients receive
everything just fine - no packet loss. This indicates that server is sending
all the packets. But at the leaf nodes, things fall apart.

Question to Everybody
> Do any of you have any experience of best practices with ToS settings on
the streaming server (Microsoft) and/or QoS settings on the networking
side(Cisco)?

Our Troubleshooting Path
We are doing some troubleshooting by trying out RTSPU to find out if there
is a generic UDP issue instead of a Multicast UDP issue. This won't help
much in resolving the issue, but might help isolate the scope of the
problem.

Regards,
Prashant Chopra
Chief Architect
CampusEAI Consortium
1940 East 6th Street, 11th Floor
Cleveland, OH 44114
Tel: 216.589.9626
Mobile: 216.402.4505
Fax: 216.589.9639
Conference Line: 319.643.7750 Pin: 117423#
www.campuseai.org