wg-multicast - Windows version of ssmping

Subject: All things related to multicast

Windows version of ssmping

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Windows version of ssmping
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:29:24 +0200

The ssmping utility I posted about a couple of months ago is now
available for Windows. It's only IPv4, and AFAIK only works on Windows
XP. Only the client is available, but that should be the most important.
Using this you can on Windows XP check that you can receive SSM from any
host running ssmpingd. You can try pinging some of the public servers
listed at http://www.venaas.no/multicast/ssmping/ , or you can run your
own server on a UNIX system.

This version is very experimental. I'm mailing you because I could need
more testers. Please let me know if you test it, I would like to hear of
both successes and failures.

There are some limitations to the Windows version. It doesn't display
number of hops (because recvmsg() seems not to be available on Windows)
and the granularity of the RTTs are pretty coarse. Also the "-c" option
does not work properly yet.

You can get the Windows binary and also UNIX sources from
http://www.venaas.no/multicast/ssmping/
I will make Windows sources available too, but would like to clean them
up a bit first.

I'm wondering a bit how many are using ssmping. I would be happy if
people using it dropped me a mail. And of course any comments, problems,
suggestions for improvements whatever, are very welcome.

For more info on what ssmping is, please see the URL above, see my
mail with subject ssmping on this list a couple of months ago, or mail
me.

Stig

  • Windows version of ssmping, Stig Venaas, 06/24/2005