wg-multicast - Group address questions

Subject: All things related to multicast

Group address questions

  • From: John Kristoff <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Group address questions
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:46:47 -0600

I wonder if anyone can provide further info on the following, that
would be helpful.

224.0.1.20 - any private experiment

I'm seeing a few of these and while I don't really care what they
are, I'm curious if 'private' means some type of scoping is
appropriate for this address. I see RFC 3648, an experimental
protocol, uses this address, as suggested by the IESG, for
flooding on what I believe are local links. Perhaps I'm seeing
leaks from experiments with that protocol? I see some network
operators are already filtering this group address.

224.0.1.41 - gatekeeper

I guess if you're doing some type of VoIP service you may want
to generally scope these so prevent clients from connecting to
other gatekeepers and from others connecting to your's, but is
that a universal truth? Are there public gatekeepers that are
intended to be reachable via this group address?

224.0.1.0/24 - internetwork control block

Is there that much in this block that cannot be scoped at public
Internet to private internetwork boundaries? The IETF audio and
video plus mtrace stand out for me, but I'm sure to be missing some.
Jini (224.0.1.[84|85]) seems relatively popular, but I don't really
know anything about this technology.

John

  • Group address questions, John Kristoff, 03/11/2005