wg-multicast - Re: example of proper use of igmp v3 SSM setsockopt on Linux 2.6 kernel?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: example of proper use of igmp v3 SSM setsockopt on Linux 2.6 kernel?

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Hoerdt Mickael <>
  • Cc: Alan Crosswell <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: example of proper use of igmp v3 SSM setsockopt on Linux 2.6 kernel?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:39:42 +0100

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 10:15:20AM +0100, Hoerdt Mickael wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> You shouln't bind your socket before joining the SSM channel I think,
> try to bind it after or better,
> try to bind it outside of the openSSM function : joining an SSM channel
> is an IP operation, which
> is not related to socket binding (ususally related to transport operation).

Are you sure? I'm not aware of any restrictions, but interested to know
if any operating systems have any.

To me it seems more appropriate to bind before joining so that you're
prepared to receive packets that may arrive immediately after joining.

I guess this is mainly a matter of style and taste.

Stig