wg-multicast - Re: [0] Re: [0] Testing, testing

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [0] Re: [0] Testing, testing

  • From: "John J. Brassil" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [0] Re: [0] Testing, testing
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:15:39 -0500

So this brings up an interesting point to me. It has been awhile, but I think the reason I chose that address in the first place was that I wanted something that I thought would get filtered out if it ever "escaped" into the wild. Was that a good choice for that purpose (local traffic only) or should I not be using addresses in this range at all?

More specifically, what I am doing with this group is hooking TV cameras into the encoder for our commencement exercises and streaming the mpeg feed back to decoders for the campus CATV system and a streaming media encoder. So I get sweet, sweet point-to-multipoint *and* if Mr Cloudburst comes along and we have to hustle from the lawn to the gym, my techs don't have to worry about crossing uni subnet boundaries.

I can envision the day when we'll want to pipe the mpeg stream off-campus as well, but of course in that case we'll being using a "routable" group.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out with this, next Joint Techs I manage to escape to, first round is on me.

John