wg-multicast - Re: Is a worm at it again?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Is a worm at it again?

  • From: "William F. Maton" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Is a worm at it again?
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:09:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 May 2004, debbie fligor wrote:

At 13:30 -0400 5/27/04, William F. Maton wrote:
All,
Is there another worm out there affecting MSDP? I was setting up a new peer just now and I'm seeing MSDP entries climbing quite fast, I'm over 19000 now...(then resetting back to around 18400).

I can't answer your question, but it does remind me to ask what a "normal" number of sa-cache entries is. we got our new software load, and nothing's working now, apparently because we're going over the maximum # of sa-cache entries, which Foundry set to 4096. this wasn't a problem before, so I don't think I ever noticed how many we were seeing.

IIRC, it hovered at around 5600. I've been meaning to graph this, but I think someone else has been doing this (CAIDA?).

Their engineers are looking at it, but I'd like to know how many sa-cache entries we should expect to see, so I can tell them how big a buffer, as we're not sure they actually have an mbone connection to test on.

Thry gleaning it from here:

http://noc.aarnet.edu.au/mrtg/router/multicast.html

It's Australia, but we're interconnected, and therefore it's all in the family. :-)

wfms