wg-multicast - French Multicast deployment

Subject: All things related to multicast

French Multicast deployment

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: French Multicast deployment
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:51:33 -0500

I thought that the group might be interested in the following video over IP
multicast being deployed using DSL in France :

http://www.convergedigest.com/DSL/lastmilearticle.asp?ID=9740

<excerpt>

France Telecom has deployed a dedicated end-to-end architecture for its
TV-over-DSL. Its partners
include Alcatel for the multicast-enabled DSLAMs , SAGEM for the MPEG-2
set-top decoders, Thalès for
the service management platform and Thomson for the video encoders. Digital
rights management is
provided with the Viaccess conditional access system.

</excerpt>

Unfortunately, my French sources tell me that this is going to be a
walled garden, with no external multicast peering.

I expect to see a lot more of this.

Happy New Year to All;

Marshall