wg-multicast - Re: Forced Update for bug-fix release of v0.9.06 Beta of Multicast Beacon

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Forced Update for bug-fix release of v0.9.06 Beta of Multicast Beacon

  • From: Bob Riddle <>
  • To: Mitch Kutzko <>
  • Cc: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
  • Subject: Re: Forced Update for bug-fix release of v0.9.06 Beta of Multicast Beacon
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:54:26 -0500

I'm dying to know the shortest path to install this & make it usable on Windows. I've downloaded the ActiveState Perl ... but now I need make, etc ... please tell me I don't need to get the eintrie cygwin package installed ...

Mitch Kutzko wrote:

Hi, folks -- Good news and bad news. ;-)

The good news is that several bugs have been squashed, and several new
features are now available with the v0.9.06 Beta release of the Multicast
Beacon.
The bad news is that the new version (v0.9.06) and the old version
(v0.9.05) are incompatible with each other, so you'll HAVE TO UPDATE your
Beacon to be seen again on the http://beacon.dast.nlanr.net web page.

The latest release (v0.9.06) is now available at:

http://dast.nlanr.net/projects/beacon/newbeacon

This version also now requires Perl module Net::Domain, which is already
part of most Perl installs, although it appears that it's NOT part of the
Perl install that comes with the default darwin/PowerPC OS.

From the README: (Please read the README..)
---------------------
* The Net-RTP-0.4 library hasn't changed between v0.9.04, v0.9.05,
and v0.9.06. The only changes have been to the beacon.pl and
beacon.conf scripts, and the internal data format used by them.
If you already have Net-RTP-0.4 installed on your system, you
only need to update the beacon.pl and beacon.conf files.

For v0.9.06, you will ALSO need to install Perl module
Net::Domain if your installation doesn't already have it.
(Darwin installs seem to be the only OS's I've tested under
that don't already have it.)

You can use:

/usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell

and at the prompt enter:

install Net::Domain

to install Net::Domain for those OS's. If it's the first time
you run CPAN, you'll have to go through the Perl Inquisition
while it figures out where and how to install what it needs, but
then it should be much simpler thereafter. I used all the
default values to the many, many questions when I installed to
the PowerPC I used for this last week, and it worked out fine.
---------------------

PLEASE SHARE your comments, questions, bug reports, concerns, and feedback
with us via the "newbeacon" listserv at
.
You can
subscribe to it by sending an email to
"",
with
"subscribe
"
in the body. This list is publicly
archived at
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/lists/newbeacon.

Thanks!

Mitch

--
Mitch Kutzko |

http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

--
Bob Riddle
()

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks
like work" Thomas Edison

  • Re: Forced Update for bug-fix release of v0.9.06 Beta of Multicast Beacon, Bob Riddle, 11/04/2003