wg-multicast - Re: ethernet level multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: ethernet level multicast

  • From: Luís Marta <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: ethernet level multicast
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:57:52 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonard Giuliano"
<>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 7:50 PM

>The better question may be why do you want incongruence in the first
>place? If you are going through the trouble of creating these p2p VLANs,
>why not let unicast use them? You might be better off creating this
>topology and letting unicast and mcast flow congruently through it.

Thanks for everyone's anwers.

I have many unicast vlans, but i only want one mcast vlan. At any point, the
chosen path by OSPF (and therefore PIM) is the unicast vlan interface, and
the only way for me to make mcast traffic go through the right vlan is to
use static mroutes, right?
Unfortunately i don't think IOS and JUNOS implement MISIS...

Does the PIM Snooping mechanism on Foundry switches work well among
different vendors routers? I mean, does it really work? :)

Luís Marta.
FCCN-WAN