wg-multicast - The Black Sea Project Update

Subject: All things related to multicast

The Black Sea Project Update

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • Cc: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, <>
  • Subject: The Black Sea Project Update
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:02:14 -0400

I wanted to give the group another update as a result of several questions I
have received:

1. The video has been up and operational for several weeks. It is running at
3M video with a total b/w of about 4M.

2. The "dropout" you see has nothing to do with you or with multicast. It is
the result of a problem router in Rhode Island and affects unicast traffic.
We hope it is fixed on Monday (the feed may be down during this operation).

3. I have received many messages about the fantastic quality of the video,
and of course the compelling content. Viewers range from Alabama to
California to Virginia to Maine. I have knowledge that Congress staffers
have seen it, and at least one state Governor.

4. Recording of the video has been disabled if you are using
StreamPlayer...the video is owned by Mystic and no one should redistribute,
copy, etc. For questions about content rights, contact them.

5. I cannot tell viewship figures. However, I'm sure several people on this
list could help us make a reasonable guess. I'm looking for help here....

6. The unicast video on the www.expedition.org web site is MPEG-4 and is also
multicast.

7. High level connectivity map can be seen here:
http://www.expedition2003.org/images/technology/eds2v2.jpg

Regards,

Rich Mavrogeanes