wg-multicast - Re: Interesting Article

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Interesting Article

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: "Craig M. Votava" <>
  • Cc: "MBONE Mailing List (External)" <>
  • Subject: Re: Interesting Article
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 07:28:25 -0700

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 09:07:50AM -0500, Craig M. Votava wrote:
> Folks-
>
> Interesting article about microsofts use of multicasting:
>
> http://www.networkcomputing.com/910/910ws2.html
>
> Casting off old myths with IP Multicasting
>
> Comments?

Lovely old article. Probably from around 1998 ? Has anyone else beside me
ever felt annoyed by web pages that don't have publishing dates on them ?
Is that supposed to make them more timeless ?

I would say Microsoft has with respect to IP multicast very nicely evolved
since then with for example SSM support in Windows Media 9.0 / Advanced Server
2003 and PGM support in MSMQ3.0, not to speak of IPv6.

Cheers
Toerless

P.S.: Oh yes, and for all i've been told, even Cisco now supports IGMP
snooping *grin*