wg-multicast - Re: PIM-SM Domain

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: PIM-SM Domain

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To: "bharat_joshi" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: PIM-SM Domain
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 06:38:18 -0500

Hello,

I believe that BSR with redundant RPs takes a bit of time (3 minutes) to converge if your RP fails. With the nature of Anycast, you can converge as fast as your IGP. I think that is the main difference. It won't kill flows that are already on the shortest path (unless the RP was on the shortest path), it just keeps new flows from being started and shared tree flows, which will still be going through the RP.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Peter Hill