wg-multicast - Filter 224.0.1.76 (IAPP.MCAST.NET) at site boundaries?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Filter 224.0.1.76 (IAPP.MCAST.NET) at site boundaries?

  • From: Simon Leinen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Filter 224.0.1.76 (IAPP.MCAST.NET) at site boundaries?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 00:14:56 +0100

Sometimes when I'm bored I check what our border routers are doing.
As far as the control plane is concerned that's mostly MSDP these days :-)

Looking at the SA cache, I see a lot of source announcements for group
224.0.1.76 (IAPP.MCAST.NET), which is registered for an "Inter-Access
Point Protocol". Seems to be used to support handover etc. for
multi-AP IEEE 802.11 networks.

I have a nagging suspicion that most sites who generate this really
want to filter it at the site boundary, if only for confidentiality of
inter-AP signaling traffic. (Is someone from MIT or UCSD on the list?)

Toerless, do you think this should be added to your standard filters?

Regards,
--
Simon.