wg-multicast - RP mapping survey

Subject: All things related to multicast

RP mapping survey

  • From: <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RP mapping survey
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:24:19 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'd like to better understand current RP mapping practices and preferences
of this community. If you have deployed PIM-SM anywhere on your campus or
gigapop or are in the process of deploying, could you answer a few
questions for me? I'll compile the results and post them back to the list.

------

What is your current RP mapping mechanism?
a. BSR
b. Auto-RP
c. Static RP

How many routers in your PIM domain?
( a rough number is fine - I just think it may be interesting to see if
there is a connection between the chosen RP mechanism and size of domain)

How many RPs in your PIM domain?

Can you briefly explain why you chose the RP mapping mechanism you use?
(ie. reliability, vendor recommendation, plug-n-play, don't know, etc.)

------

Please send replies directly to me for compilation as I'm not sure if this
email address is on the list (as my previous address is now defunct). And
if you think this data should be collected in some other way - say by the
working group chair or his assignee - then please speak-up and volunteer
Kevin for the job. ;-) Otherwise, fire away!

Thanks,
Greg

  • RP mapping survey, shep, 01/14/2003