wg-multicast - Free MPEG-2 Player

Subject: All things related to multicast

Free MPEG-2 Player

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Free MPEG-2 Player
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 00:18:22 -0500

I thought the group would be interested to know that we've released the new
StreamPlayer viewer which has been in beta for some months.

Beyond support for closed captions and other new features, StreamPlayer is
now totally free, including support for viewing live MPEG-2 streams and
MPEG-1 streams. Members are using it today to view live MPEG-2 from various
sources around the I2. The free player supports multicast only, is for
Windows only, and depends a the PC having a DVD player or other MPEG-2
decoder already installed, thus avoiding the mandatory MPEG royalty payment.
MPEG-2 decoder s/w is available from us at a small charge if needed.
Importantly, StreamPlayer does not depend on hardware assist decoders for
MPEG-2 and gives full screen DVD quality video...even on a 600MHz machine.
The free player only allows selection via its Program Guide (SAP listner),
and does not support manual address entry, and operates in a IE browser.

I felt that the best way to promote the use of multicast, especially at high
bandwidth, was to make it as painless as possible, and I believe commercial
s/w that is free is a huge step in that direction. But of course, you'll be
the judge.

www.vbrick.com/streamPlayer.asp - is free, but you will have to 'register' :)
There is also a non-free ($20) version that includes the MPEG-2 decoder and
is more feature-rich -- but for simple viewing (the majority of the cases),
free will do.

I'm always interested in the group's feedback.

All the best,

Rich Mavrogeanes
VBrick Systems

  • Free MPEG-2 Player, Richard Mavrogeanes, 12/19/2002