wg-multicast - Re: Default IGMP querier

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Default IGMP querier

  • From: Tom Pusateri <>
  • To:
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: Default IGMP querier
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:08:17 -0800

I can't really think of any problems a "rogue querier" can cause.
All IGMP routers listen to membership reports and time groups out
independently.

As long as someone sends queries (which will fall back to any other
router if the rogue querier doesn't follow the protocol), the routers
will have the right membership.

What is the threat or attack you're concerned about?

FYI, Here is the security considerations text from RFC 2236:

A forged Query message from a machine with a lower IP address than
the current Querier will cause Querier duties to be assigned to
the forger. If the forger then sends no more Query messages, other
routers' Other Querier Present timer will time out and one will
resume the role of Querier. During this time, if the forger ignores
Leave Messages, traffic might flow to groups with no members for
up to [Group Membership Interval].

A forged Query message sent to a group with members will cause the
hosts which are members of the group to report their memberships.
This causes a small amount of extra traffic on the LAN, but causes
no protocol problems.

Thanks,
Tom

In message