wg-multicast - RE: cisco multicast bug?

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: cisco multicast bug?

  • From: "John Barlow" <>
  • To: "'Roy D. Hockett'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: cisco multicast bug?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:23:48 +1100

We've had this on our Cisco OSR7600. In the text "Interdomain Multicast
Routing" (Addison-Wesley) on page 127 the authors describe the Cisco RPF
check showing the behaviour you and I have seen:

=== START quote ===
In Cisco's operating system, IOS, each routing protocol has its own
routing table. An RPF check can use any routing protocol's routing
table. When doing an RPF check for source address, S, the routing tables
are scanned in order of protocol preference. The route used for the RPF
check is the one from the most prefereed protocol that provides a route
that encompasses S. It is important to note this route might not be the
one with the longest mask.
=== END quote ===

Like you, this was not the behaviour I expected, and really makes a
mockery of the theoretical ability to manipulate the multicast traffic
flow separately from unicast traffic. Like you, my OSPF distributed
default route was taking a different path from where I wanted the
multicast traffic to flow in from.

Cisco reps on this list - any chance the "longest mask" match might be
implemented ? Or to change the RPF check to use the MBGP table first
preference (which sounds good to me !)

John Barlow
GrangeNet (research network, Australia)