wg-multicast - FYI: IGMPv3 for Linux host stack

Subject: All things related to multicast

FYI: IGMPv3 for Linux host stack

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: , ,
  • Cc:
  • Subject: FYI: IGMPv3 for Linux host stack
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:06:54 -0700

We have ported the FreeBSD IGMP version 3 host stack to linux 2.4 and
are interested to get as much deployment feedback as possible to
encourage that it gets accepted into the standard linux kernels. This
especially also means that we would like to see it being used even if
just pure non-SSM applications are being used (to verify correct
IGMPv2 backward compatiblity of the host stack).

The current version has shown to work quite well at a couple of early
tester places (thanks everybody!). We are still finalizing a few discovered
issues, but we expect it to work reliable for most places already.

Please find pointers to patches at:

ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/ssm/index.html#STACKS

Please use

to respond to us or subscribe to

if you like to discuss this stack with
other users and be kept up to date with updates.

Thanks
Toerless Eckert, Vince Laviano

P.S.: If you want to snoop IGMPv3 packets on the wire, make sure you
get the latest tcpdump version from www.tcpdump.org, which understands
IGMPv3 packets.