wg-multicast - Re: Protocol Action: Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 3 to Proposed Standard (fwd)

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Protocol Action: Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 3 to Proposed Standard (fwd)

  • From: ken lindahl <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Protocol Action: Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 3 to Proposed Standard (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 10:30:56 -0700

imo, one the biggest obstacles to deployment is the lack
of v3-capable snooping in switches. see the "Windows XP
and multicast" and "IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches" threads in
the archive for this mailing list:
http://archives.internet2.edu/reguser/archives/WG-MULTICAST/log200206/

the current state of IGMPv3 snooping in switches is lamentable;
most switch manufacturers don't think IGMPv3 support is high on
the requested features list. anyone who thinks SSM is important
needs to hound her/his switch manufacturer(s) relentlessly for
v3 support.

ken