wg-multicast - multicast filters for Norton ghost

Subject: All things related to multicast

multicast filters for Norton ghost

  • From: Jay Ford <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: multicast filters for Norton ghost
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:32:27 -0500 (CDT)

I've added the following to the list of multicast traffic & MSDP SAs I whack:
224.77.0.0/16
226.77.0.0/16
I implemented it as one rule:
224.77.0.0 2.0.255.255

See "http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999033015222425";
for their use.

Blocking /16s is admittedly a bit dangerous looking ahead, but it seems OK
for now. YMMV. Comments are welcome.

By the way, has anybody yelled at Norton/Symantec about using arbitrarily
chosen multicast address space? This makes 2 /16s & a /32 of global space
which I'm aware are used by them for a decidedly local application. Argh!

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email:
,
phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-5505

  • multicast filters for Norton ghost, Jay Ford, 05/31/2002