wg-multicast - Re: [pim] Re: Where is SSM?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [pim] Re: Where is SSM?

  • From: Greg Shepherd <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: John Zwiebel <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: [pim] Re: Where is SSM?
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> As we bring up video channels, we plan to mirror them in SSM.
> If the various _players_ as well as the OS's will support them, we
> will drop the ASM support. My guess is that this will take a year to
> happen.

Marshall,

I really think you're doing the right thing here. You may also want to
consider making the SSM stream a higher quality feed as an incentive. In
fact, this is similar to some ideas to incent mcast deployment I've tossed
around with others; create a short 'demo' unicast stream at a much lower
bitrate, a link to a screen-shot of the higher bitrate mcast feed, and end
the demo with some hype-text to create a buzz.

"I want my McastTV!!"

Sure, and we'll get David Bowie to give the plug. ;-)

Greg