wg-multicast - Re: Any periodic broadcasting in practice now on Internet?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Any periodic broadcasting in practice now on Internet?

  • From: "Zhu Nan" <>
  • To: "Marshall Eubanks" <>, "Greg Shepherd" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Any periodic broadcasting in practice now on Internet?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 00:21:23 +0800

Dear Sir,

I've visited your website and have seen the description of the product
Streaming Fountain. It's interesting. You made it right that what I meant is
a cyclic-multicast to make a near-VOD. And the streaming fountain seems to be
a well-developped product.So I have a question, can you give me some examples
of large-scale video service where the streaming fountain is used, or some
data of test cases to show the large-scale capability of the product is also
OK.

And, are there any products of the same capability?

I now wonder, the powerful video service using multicast tech can be so
attractive, but why there are so few such VOD service with multicast support
? Can I have the reason as the not-so-wide deployment of multicast? Then. if
multicast is all over deployed in future, will it be used soon into the VOD
system ?

Thanks for your guide.

--
Zhu Nan
Network Research Center of Tsinghua University