wg-multicast - Re: retrieve multicast receiver IP

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: retrieve multicast receiver IP

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: Philip Ho <>
  • Cc: I2 <>
  • Subject: Re: retrieve multicast receiver IP
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:19:35 -0700

Philip,

YOu can ONLY keep effectively keep track of individual host memberships
when you are using IGMP version 3 because only IGMP version 3 does not
have the report suppression of IGMPv1/v2 that otherwise defies the
explicit tracking of hosts.

If you have IGMP version 3 then you don't need switches, but you can
use the explicit tracking on the router side to see which host is
joined to which group or channel - see for example the feature description
of IGMPv3 explicit tracking in Cisco IOS 12.0(19)S documentation.

Yes, if you restrict yourselves to just one host per port then you
could get tracking of hosts also via an IGMP(v1/v2) snooping switch.
I am not aware of an explicit command to display this association though.
If you just have one host per port, you might as well get this information
out of matching the CAM table against the ARP and IGMP snooping table
(CAM: port -> host-mac, arp: host-mac -> host-ip, IGMP: groups -> portlist).
If you have more than one host per port you need IGMPv3 anyhow to really know
which subsets of hosts on a port is joined.

Cheers
Toerless