wg-multicast - maximum number of multicast entries

Subject: All things related to multicast

maximum number of multicast entries

  • From: Philip Ho <>
  • To: I2 <>
  • Subject: maximum number of multicast entries
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:17:21 +0800

Hello all,

Looking for your help in a multicast error in Cisco switch.

Critical error message is found when I pumped single source with 1000
groups of multicast data through Catalyst 6509. Version is 6.2(3).

Error message:
%MCAST-2-MAXGDALIMIT:No. of Multicast entries has reached the max 3072

I suppose even (*,G) and (S,G) exists, there are only 2000 entries. Does
catalyst 6000 really has the limit of 3072 multicast entries? Has anyone
in Internet2 experienced this problem before? What is the maximum number
of multicast enties you have seen in a 6509?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
philip