wg-multicast - telling ciscos to ignore dvmrp

Subject: All things related to multicast

telling ciscos to ignore dvmrp

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To:
  • Subject: telling ciscos to ignore dvmrp
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:35:36 EST

I was trying to debug why one of my routers wasn't able to learn of its
pim bsr-router which is advertised with a /32. Finally I tried "show ip rpf
128.59.0.15" and got back a bogus route via an incorrect interface. The
RPF was learned via DVMRP. So, I tried filtering dvmrp since it appears
there's no way to globally disable it. I added the following subinterface
command:

ip dvmrp accept-filter 99 neighbor-list 2

mudd-edge-1#sho access-lists 99
Standard IP access list 99 (Compiled)
permit any log
mudd-edge-1#sho access-lists 2
Standard IP access list 2 (Compiled)
deny any (4 matches)

The wierd thing is since I've added these filters, no more dvmrp routes have
come in so I can't find who originated them. Access-list 99 hasn't logged
once since then.

Anybody seen this behavior? Is this really the only way to turn off dvmrp
poluting my routing table?

/a