wg-multicast - Re: FYI... on Austin meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: FYI... on Austin meeting

  • From: Ted Hanss <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: FYI... on Austin meeting
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:07:47 -0400

This week we are going to post a list of regional sites that are willing to host people.

This is some info I've sent out regarding technical details/thoughts. Comments and suggestions on any of this are very welcome. Most of this is still being planned and so up in the air, but I wanted to share current thinking:

- On Tuesday October the 2nd we will present the plenary sessions that had been spread over Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday in Austin. Those included any Abilene announcements, middleware announcements, a presentation by Aubrey Bush (NSF), and hopefully Ian Foster's keynote on grid computing. This will run from approximately 11:00 to 4:00 EDT. We will create a primary studio in Ann Arbor, accepting remote feeds from a limited number of external sites (hopefully with MPEG-2 streaming to maximize the quality of the source). (A commercial video house is handling lighting, cameras, mixing, etc.) We will encode the outgoing stream to H.323, Access Grid, VRVS, IP/TV, and Real. We'd also like to feed an MPEG-2 stream to the ResearchChannel over-the-air service if we can get permission to do that. We will include audio-only delivery as well. The backchannel interaction will come via as many of the above technologies as we can support along with text. We are using good sized audio and video mixers to maximize the n-ways interconnections. Audio might be the only means to build a full mesh of connections. (For example, we need to evaluate the image quality of grabbing an AG/H.261-encoded video of a remote questioner and mixing that in to the netcast.) We also want to put each session up as VoD as soon as we can. Anyone have recommendations based on experience with commercial web conferencing services such as WebEx, Placeware, Astound, etc. for pushing out the PowerPoint slides and providing feedback channels?

- On Wednesday the Megaconference continues essentially as is. As we aren't holding plenaries on Wednesday, this opens up slots to perhaps fit in more megaconference sessions. Bob Dixon remains the man-in-charge here.

- On Thursday and perhaps Friday we are offering H.323, VRVS, and maybe Real and/or QT-enabled streaming services for track sessions. If groups want to use the Access Grid we'll publish that schedule as well.

- If presenters don't feel they need to re-schedule presentations or working group meetings within that week, they are scheduling for later either virtually or in person. In person options include, for example, the End to End Performance Initiative sessions likely moving to the campus-focused workshop in Pittsburgh on October 22nd-24th <http://www.internet2.edu/activities/html/campuswksp-pitt.html>. One option for an in-person location is the NLANR/Internet2 Joint Techs Meeting in Tempe (Arizona State) the week of January 28th. I have proposed that we add, for the first time, an applications track to that meeting. That is, not to turn it into a full-blown Internet2 Member Meeting but provide a location for applications people to get together to hold in-person working group sessions. (The next Internet2 Member Meeting is the week of May the 6th in Washington, DC.)