wg-multicast - FYI... on Austin meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

FYI... on Austin meeting

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: FYI... on Austin meeting
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 07:00:50 -0700 (PDT)

The multicast WG was due to have a session... we could potentially
still have a session all of the speakers already all have multicast
capability and sufficient bandwidth to do an MPEG-based presentation.

Not sure how the technical issues will play out at this point though.

-Kevin

>>Dear Friends and Colleagues:
>>
>>Today, Internet2 President Doug Van Houweling, after conferring with many
>>of you, made a very difficult decision regarding the upcoming Internet2
>>Fall Member Meeting. We have decided not to hold the Meeting in Austin as
>>originally planned. Instead, we will hold a one and one-half day Virtual
>>Member Meeting on Tuesday, October 2 and Wednesday, October 3. We will
>>concentrate the plenary sessions in a block of time on Tuesday, while
>>additional sessions will be scheduled during the Megaconference on
>>Wednesday. We are making plans for your participation during the session,
>>and for post-session feedback and discussion. By early next week, you will
>>be able to find the details of what's planned, the timing, and how you can
>>participate at http://www.internet2.edu/activities/html/fall01.html
>>
>>Perhaps the hardest aspect to give up is the interaction with our
>>colleagues, the real-time hallway chat, and the close collaboration that
>>we've come to expect from our Member Meetings. We are under no illusion
>>that this virtual meeting is a substitute. At the same time, we see this
>>as a real opportunity to capitalize on video and collaboration technologies
>>by benchmarking how far we've come in networking and applications, and
>>setting a baseline from which we can make progress. While it's an
>>opportunity borne of necessity and tragic circumstances, we can use it to
>>positive effect not only for key presentations and discussions, but also to
>>accelerate work on making these technologies more usable and pervasive. We
>>will get critical work done and continue to make progress while relieving
>>individuals of the burden of being away from home and family.
>>
>>We know that many of you have made travel plans, and that this meeting is
>>one way in which you anticipated getting back to business. I hope you will
>>hold the time you were planning to spend in Austin on your calendars, and
>>join us virtually on October 2 and 3.
>>
>>On behalf of the entire staff of Internet2, I want to extend deepest thanks
>>to the many presenters, session organizers, program committee members,
>>technology planners and coordinators, meeting organizers, corporate
>>sponsors, and many others who have worked so hard to make the meeting in
>>Austin happen. I also want to thank you all in advance for your
>>contributions to our Virtual Member Meeting and to our common goals.
>>
>>Very best regards,
>>
>> Laurie
>>

>>***************************************************
>>Laurie Burns, Director of Member Activities
>>Internet2
>>3025 Boardwalk, Suite 100
>>Ann Arbor, MI 48108
>>Office: (734) 913-4251
>>Cell: (734) 604-9558

>>Today, Internet2 President Doug Van Houweling, after conferring with many
>>of you, made a very difficult decision regarding the upcoming Internet2
> [...]

  • FYI... on Austin meeting, Kevin C. Almeroth, 09/23/2001