wg-multicast - Re: SDR announcements

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SDR announcements

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Roy Hockett <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: SDR announcements
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:44:09 -0400

Roy Hockett wrote:

> In the process of bringing up multicast to our lab I ran into a problem
> of not knowing whether my configuration was working 100% for I could see
> a whole bunch of SDR announcements, but I couldn't get to many of the
> mulicast groups. I could get to: "eircom Temple-Bar", "CRC-TV", and
> "Places all over the world", but not anything else. Is there a way to
> tell if one should be able to reach a particular multicast group or not,
> and is it the culture of multicast to have the sdr announcement for
> something that doesn't have any source? I am new to multicast, so I am
> just trying to get an understanding, and hopefully document it for
> others as they go through the same process.
>
> Thanks,
> -Roy

Dear Roy;

Alas, many of the SDR announcements (see http://imj.ucsb.edu/sdr-monitor/ )
are "dead," or are announcements of future availability. You should be able
to see
our groups (on-the-I), and also the UOregon groups, besides the ones
you mentioned. If you can't see On-the-I, let me know and we'll debug it.

The Norway NRK MP3 stations are frequently up too - send e-mail to the contact
address if they are not, and he'll reboot them.

Accroding to accessgrid - http://beaconserver.accessgrid.org:9999/ - the
UMich beacon
can see us, but NO ONE can see it, so you have some sort of outbound
connectivity problem.
--
Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html

  • SDR announcements, Roy Hockett, 08/23/2001
    • Re: SDR announcements, Marshall Eubanks, 08/23/2001