wg-multicast - bursty lossy multicast performance

Subject: All things related to multicast

bursty lossy multicast performance

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To:
  • Subject: bursty lossy multicast performance
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:43:25 EDT

So I am trying to view some sources and have been seeing the following
very consistently:

- "U0 Broadcasts NASA Videos (01)" jumps around between 30 fps and 0 fps every
couple of seconds. 50% short term drop rate. S= blaster.uoregon.edu

- "UW-Milwaukee" pretty consistent at 27-30 fps. 4% short term drop rate.
S=IPTV-manager.imt.uwm.edu. Content is like watching paint dry:-)

- "GigaPort demo" conistently 24-25 fps. 0% short term drop rate.
S=surfnet-tv3.hvu.nl

- "CPAC on CA_net 3..." similar jumpiness to the UO session, perhaps
even worse. S=iptv.canet3.net

- "Window on NDSU" about 5 fps with no loss. S=ruby.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu and
and rover.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu. Note these are lower frame rate sessions....

Could others possibly view these same sessions and compare?
Is there a better way than these subjective measurements to compare these?

It would be nice if IPTV Content Manager would stop announcing sessions
for which the "managed server" is down. 90% of the clutter in IPTV viewer
is these kinds of sessions.

/a
PS: imj.ucsb.edu is refusing connections right now so I can't get to some
of the tools and papers referenced off the wg web page.